Oct 06, 2022
2020-2021 Lane Community College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Computer Programming, AAS
Length: Two years, 90 credits
Estimated Cost: $14,195
- Books/Materials - $518
- Book/Class Fees - $22
- Program Specific Fees - $208
- Computer/Internet Service - $1,500
- Tuition - $10,148
- Tech Fees - $774
- General Student Fees - $1,024
Tuition and fee estimates are based on the prior academic year's rates. Course fees may change during the year. Learn more and view updated tuition and fee information at www.lanecc.edu/esfs/credit-tuition.
The purpose of this program is to prepare technicians for entry-level positions as software developers.
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Design, implement, test, debug and document web based computer programs using a variety of current tools and technologies.
- Design, implement, test, debug and document at least one other type of computer program such as: game program, database program, object-oriented program.
- Understand the relationship between computer programs and organizational processes.
- Interpret the mathematical concepts of a programming related problem-solving task and translate them into programming logic and expressions.
- Use appropriate library and information resources to research programming tools and technologies and support lifelong technical learning.
General Education courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better, or Pass.
Writing (8 credits) - Complete both of the following:
Math (4-5 credits) - Complete one of the following:
Human Relations (3-4 credits) - Complete one of the following:
Health/PE/Dance (3 credits): Complete any Health (HE), Physical Education (PE, PEAT, PEO), or Dance (D) course or any combination of these courses.
Open Elective (1 credit): Complete any 100- or 200-level course to meet this requirement.
Program Electives must be completed with a letter grade of C- or better. P/NP is not accepted. Complete 12 credits from the following list:
- This is the parent program for the Database Specialist, CPC , Front End Web Development, CPC , and Mobile Application Development, CPC .
- This program follows the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Requirements unless otherwise specified.
- Second-year requirements: A personal laptop is recommended for second-year students in the degree program. Please contact the Program Coordinator for options and system requirements.
- Students who complete the Computer Programming Degree will have completed all of the coursework to earn the Database Specialist, CPC and the Front End Web Development, CPC .
- Programming majors are strongly advised to take as electives CS 235AM and CS 235IM .
- Students using lower-credit courses to meet General Education requirements may need to take additional Electives to meet the 90-credit minimum
- For more specific information about the Fall/Winter/Spring CS/CIS elective sequences please contact the Program Coordinator to help determine which elective sequence best fits your goals.
- Computer programming languages: Students who complete more than one CS 161 or CS 162 programming language course should be aware that transfer institutions may count multiple 161 or 162 courses as repeats, and may not accept them in transfer. Students wishing to complete multiple programming courses should first take a CS 161/162 series and then enroll in CS 133/233 course series for any subsequent programming languages.