Dec 01, 2020
Length: 45 credits
Estimated Cost: $6,078
- Books - $390
- Resident Tuition and General Student Fees - $5,688
Tuition and fee estimates are based on the prior academic year's rates. Course fees may change during the year. Learn more and view updated tuition and fee information at www.lanecc.edu/esfs/credit-tuition.
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for various careers in the fitness industry, including personal training, group exercise instruction, coaching, wellness coaching.
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Administer various basic fitness assessments including the measurement of cardiovascular endurance, body composition, flexibility, muscular strength and endurance in gym or health club settings.
- Apply and interpret basic algebraic formulas to fitness assessment data and exercise programming.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in the areas of leadership, motivation, and communication.
- Design and demonstrate safe and effective exercise programs for apparently healthy individuals and groups within current fitness industry standards and best practices.
- Respond to the needs of a diverse clientele and demonstrate inclusive practices.
- Understand and apply basic behavior modification strategies to enhance exercise and health behavior change with clients.
- Understand and apply basic exercise principles related to applied kinesiology, physiology, injury prevention, conditioning, resistance training, and functional training.
- Understand and apply nationally recognized standards for fitness and overall health and describe the benefits and precautions associated with exercise.
- Understand their scope of practice and role within the health and fitness field and the allied health care system and practice appropriate and ethical professional conduct.
GENERAL EDUCATION courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better, or Pass.
Writing (4 credits) - Complete the following:
Math (4 credits) - Complete one of the following:
Human Relations Requirement (3-4 credits) - Complete one of the following:
Program Core Courses
FLS and PE 280F must be completed with a letter grade of C- or better. P/NP is not accepted. HE courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better, or Pass.
ELECTIVES must be completed with a grade of C- or better, or Pass. Complete two different PE courses, selected from the following: