Length: One year, 23-24 credits
Estimated Cost: $5,085
- Books/Course Materials - $560
- Technology Fees - $18
- Online Course Fees - $175
- Resident Tuition and General Student Fees - $3,025
Tuition and fee estimates are based on the prior academic year's rates. Course tuition and fees may change during the year. Learn more and view updated tuition and fee information at www.lanecc.edu/esfs/credit-tuition.
Term-by-Term Course Plan
The purpose of this program, which can be completed entirely online, is to teach the basic skills needed for employment in an entry-level position in a healthcare setting. The outcomes include practice responsible and confidential communications and apply an understanding of health care laws and ethics are required in health care practice , work in a professional manner in the health care environment, understand and apply medical terminology appropriately, describe the anatomy and physiology of the various systems of the body, demonstrate basic computer skills and, recognize the scope of work the student is legally allowed to perform with their level of training. The certificate is fully embedded in the Health Records Technology certificate and multiple other Lane programs. It is designed for positions in health care such as patient transport, medical receptionist, environmental support, food services, and physical therapy aide.
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Understand the requirements to work as a professional in a health care environment.
- Demonstrate basic computer skills.
- Apply the principles and privacy and security based on laws and professional ethics required in health care practices.
- Demonstrate ability to use medical terminology appropriately, including abbreviations, acronyms, spelling, and pronunciation.
- Demonstrate knowledge on the basics of human anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrate professional written and verbal communications in a responsible and confidential manner.
- Demonstrate intellectually informed, appreciative, and understanding of various cultures, histories, as marked by class, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, and other manifestations of difference.
Program Core Courses
Program Core courses must be completed with a letter grade of C or better. P/NP is not accepted.
- This program is fully contained in the Health Information Management (online), 1-yr Certificate .
- This program follows the Career Pathway Certificate of Completion Requirements unless otherwise specified.
- All courses can be completed online.
- Completion of BI 231 , BI 232 , and BI 233 with a letter grade of C or better is an acceptable equivalent for HP 150 and HP 152 .
- BT 120 - MS WORD for Business can be used to meet the Computer Literacy requirement if completed prior to 2020-21.
- Students planning to pursue the Health Information Management (online), AAS , the Health Information Management (online), 1-yr Certificate , or the Medical Coding (online), CPC will have met their program prerequisites upon completion of this program.
- All program prerequisites with the subject prefix CIS, CS, and HP must be completed no more than five years prior to HIM program acceptance.
- Students who do not meet reading and/or math requirements may apply to PASS Lane Summer programming for alternative admission process. PASS Lane contact is Marcia Koenig (email@example.com) 541.463.5818, Bldng 11/244.