This is the parent program for the Group Exercise Instructor, CPC
Total Program Credits: 45-47
Estimated Program Length: One year
Offered by the Health and Physical Education Division, 541.463.5545
Certificate of Completion Requirements
Program Coordinator Wendy Simmons, 541.463.5551
Dean Grant Matthews
Purpose The Fitness Specialist Certificate is to prepare students for various careers in the fitness industry, including personal training, group exercise instruction, coaching, wellness coaching.
Learning Outcomes The graduate will:
- Administer various basic fitness assessments including the measurement of cardiovascular endurance, body composition, flexibility, muscular strength and endurance in gym or health club settings.
- Apply and interpret basic algebraic formulas to fitness assessment data and exercise programming.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in the areas of leadership, motivation, and communication.
- Design and demonstrate safe and effective exercise programs for apparently healthy individuals and groups within current fitness industry standards and best practices.
- Respond to the needs of a diverse clientele and demonstrate inclusive practices.
- Understand and apply basic behavior modification strategies to enhance exercise and health behavior change with clients.
- Understand and apply basic exercise principles related to applied kinesiology, physiology, injury prevention, conditioning, resistance training, and functional training.
- Understand and apply nationally recognized standards for fitness and overall health and describe the benefits and precautions associated with exercise.
- Understand their scope of practice and role within the health and fitness field and the allied health care system and practice appropriate and ethical professional conduct.
Admission Information Please consult lanecc.edu/healthpe/fitness-specialist-information
Advising Contact FLSProgram@lanecc.edu
Job Openings and Wages Projected through 2022
Career Pathways Roadmap
Total Annual Openings
Lane County: 23
Lane County: $19.11
Estimated Program Cost
|Resident Tuition and General Student Fees
||Total Estimated Cost
*Course fees may change during the year. See the online credit class schedule for fees assigned to courses.