This program is fully contained in the Fitness and Lifestyle Specialist, 1-yr Certificate
Total Program Credits: 21
Estimated Program Length: Two terms
Offered by the Health and Physical Education Department, 541.463.5545
Career Pathway Certificate of Completion Requirements
Program Coordinator Wendy Simmons, 541.463.5551
Dean Grant Matthews
Purpose Prepare students to become instructors in group fitness activities, such as aerobics, step, cycling, circuit, yoga, muscle conditioning, interval and other group exercise modalities. The curriculum and Interdisciplinary Practicum experiences serve as an entry point into the career of instructing group exercise. National certification and further training in specific styles of group exercise is often required.
Learning Outcomes Upon completion of this certificate, students will:
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills in the areas of leadership, exercise motivation, and communication (written, verbal, and non-verbal).
- Design, evaluate, and instruct safe and effective group exercise classes utilizing a variety of exercise modalities.
- Understand the role of proper nutrition and training techniques as they relate to physical fitness and weight management.
- Apply nationally recognized standards for group exercise instruction.
- Appropriately modify and adapt group classes to meet the needs of a variety of participants.
- Communicate to participants the benefits, risks, and precautions involved with participation in group exercise.
- Identify and communicate the unique benefits of group exercise in the health and fitness industry.
- Identify and implement risk management strategies and safety precautions to ensure a safe and productive exercise experience for all participants.
Advising Contact FLSProgram@lanecc.edu
Job Openings and Wages Projected through 2022
Career Pathways Roadmap
Total Annual Openings
Estimated Program Cost
|Resident Tuition and General Student Fees
||Total Estimated Cost
*Course fees may change during the year. See the online credit class schedule for fees assigned to courses.