This program is fully contained in the Health Information Management, 1-yr Certificate
Total Program Credits: 24 credits
Estimated Program Length: Two terms
Offered by the Health Professions Division, 541.463.5617
Career Pathway Certificate of Completion Requirements
Program Coordinator Shelley K. Williams, BA, RN, RHIT, 541.463.5182, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dean Grant Matthews
Purpose This certificate can be earned completely online. This career pathway certificate teaches the basic skills needed for employment in an entry level position in a health care setting. The outcomes include practice responsible and confidential communications and apply an understanding of health care laws and ethics are required in health care practice , work in a professional manner in the health care environment, understand and apply medical terminology appropriately, describe the anatomy and physiology of the various systems of the body, demonstrate basic computer skills and, recognize the scope of work the student is legally allowed to perform with their level of training. The certificate is fully embedded in the Health Records Technology certificate and multiple other Lane programs. It is designed for positions in health care such as patient transport, medical receptionist, environmental support, food services, and physical therapy aide.
Learning Outcomes The graduate will:
- Understand the requirements to work as a professional in a health care environment.
- Demonstrate basic computer skills.
- Apply the principles and privacy and security based on laws and professional ethics required in health care practices.
- Demonstrate ability to use medical terminology appropriately, including abbreviations, acronyms, spelling, and pronunciation.
- Demonstrate knowledge on the basics of human anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrate professional written and verbal communications in a responsible and confidential manner.
- Demonstrate intellectually informed, appreciative, and understanding of various cultures, histories, as marked by class, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, and other manifestations of difference.
Admission Information There is no application requirement for this certificate.
Advising Contact HIMProgram@lanecc.edu
Job Openings and Wages Projected through 2022
See the Career Pathways Roadmap
Estimated Program Cost
|Tuition and General Student Fees
||Total Estimated Cost
- Prerequisites may be required for some courses. See course listing .
- If math is taken in the self-paced format through the Math Resource Center then all credits must be completed to meet the math requirement.
- All courses can be completed online.
- Completion of BI 231 , BI 232 , and BI 233 with a letter grade of C or better is an acceptable equivalent for HO 150 and HO 152 .
- Students planning to pursue the HIM program or the Medical Coding certificate will have met their program prerequisites upon completion of the Basic Healthcare Pathway. All program prerequisites with the subject prefix BT, CIS, CS, and HO must be completed no more than five years prior to HIM program acceptance.