Length: Program 23 credits
Estimated Cost for Program: $4,131.00
- Resident Tuition: $2,898.00*
- Technology Fees: $253.00
- General Student Fees** (if applicable)
- Online Course Fee: $230.00
- Books / Course Materials: $750.00
Costs provided are estimates only. Learn more and view current tuition and fee information at lanecc.edu/esfs/credit-tuition.
* Resident tuition is based on all program requirements (general education, core, directed electives). Any prerequisites required prior to the entry of the program will be listed separately.
** General Student fees are paid once each term, depending on whether you are taking classes on Main Campus, or at one of the outreach centers or by distance learning.
*** Any special info about program costs or expenses.
**** This is the total of all the differential fees attached to the courses in this program.
Program Learning Outcomes
The purpose of this program, which can be completed entirely online, is to teach the basic skills needed for employment in an entry-level position in a healthcare setting. The outcomes include practice responsible and confidential communications and apply an understanding of health care laws and ethics are required in health care practice , work in a professional manner in the health care environment, understand and apply medical terminology appropriately, describe the anatomy and physiology of the various systems of the body, demonstrate basic computer skills and, recognize the scope of work the student is legally allowed to perform with their level of training. The certificate is fully embedded in the Health Records Technology certificate and multiple other Lane programs. It is designed for positions in health care such as patient transport, medical receptionist, environmental support, food services, and physical therapy aide.
Students who complete this program will be able to:
PLO 1 - Understand the requirements to work as a professional in a health care environment
PLO 2 - Demonstrate basic computer skills
PLO 3 - Apply the principles and privacy and security based on laws and professional ethics required in health care practices
PLO 4 - Demonstrate ability to use medical terminology appropriately, including abbreviations, acronyms, spelling, and pronunciation
PLO 5 - Demonstrate knowledge on the basics of human anatomy and physiology
PLO 6 - Demonstrate professional written and verbal communications in a responsible and confidential manner
PLO 7 - Demonstrate intellectually informed, appreciative, and understanding of various cultures, histories, as marked by class, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, and other manifestations of difference
Program Core Courses
Program Core courses must be completed with a letter grade of C or better. P/NP is not accepted.
- This program is fully contained in the Health Information Management (online), 1-yr Certificate .
- This program follows the Career Pathway Certificate of Completion Requirements unless otherwise specified.
- All courses can be completed online.
- Completion of BI 231 , BI 232 , and BI 233 with a letter grade of C or better is an acceptable equivalent for HP 150 and HP 152 .
- BT 120 - MS WORD for Business can be used to meet the Computer Literacy requirement if completed prior to Summer 2020 (when the program's prerequisites changed).
- Students planning to pursue the Health Information Management (online), AAS , the Health Information Management (online), 1-yr Certificate , or the Health Information Management: Medical Coding (online), CPC will have met their program prerequisites upon completion of this program.
- All program prerequisites with the subject prefix CIS, CS, and HP must be completed no more than five years prior to HIM program acceptance. The prerequisites with CIS, CS, and HP prefixes can possibly be waived with current work experience in an HIM related field.
- Students who do not meet reading and/or math requirements may apply to PASS Lane Summer programming for alternative admission process. PASS Lane contact is Marcia Koenig (email@example.com), Bldg. 11/244, 541-463-5818.