Dec 02, 2022
MTH 085 - Applied Geometry for Technicians4 Credit(s)
MTH 085 Applied Geometry includes the following: linear, square, and cubic units, dimensional analysis in metric and US customary measures, problem solving, angle measure, properties of pairs of angles formed by system of parallel, perpendicular, and transversal lines; perimeter and area of polygons and circles; surface area and volume of solid figures such as prisms and pyramids; similarity, ratio, and proportion, right triangle trigonometry. Oblique triangle trigonometry is an optional topic. Some algebra topics from MTH 075 will be applied. The course will emphasize clear communication of mathematical results. Application problems are realistic with some data to be collected, analyzed, and discussed in group setting with results submitted in written form.
Prerequisite: MTH 060 or MTH 075 , completed within the past two years with a grade of C- or better, or placement test.
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Determine angle measurements in drawings involving triangles, parallel lines, and central angles.
- Use a protractor appropriately.
- Name basic shapes and describe their properties.
- Determine what folds up into a simple 3D shape.
- Apply properties of isosceles and equilateral triangles.
- Utilize the US Customary and metric system of units for length, area, and volume.
- Use the US Customary and metric system of units for temperature and weight.
- Apply unit analysis to measurements including square and cubic units.
- Use conversion charts to convert measurements.
- Apply densities to determine weight or volume.
- Calculate perimeters, areas, volumes, and surface areas of geometric shapes.
- Evaluate formulas related to geometric measure.
- Solve formulas and simple equations for given variables.
- Solve applied ratio and proportion problems.
- Apply properties of similar triangles to find lengths.
- Apply properties of right triangles and use the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Apply trigonometric ratios to determine angles and lengths in right triangles.
- Apply the Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines. (Optional)
- Solve application problems involving geometry and measurement appropriate to technical fields.
- Simplify elementary algebraic expressions.
- Solve elementary algebraic equations and formulas.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)