Nov 28, 2022
MTH 020 - Math Renewal4 Credit(s)
If you have taken a higher level math course than this and passed the course with a C- or better, you may not use this course for your degree/certificate requirements. This course begins with a review of whole number, fraction, and decimal arithmetic that includes rounding, estimation, order of operations, averages, and the solving of one-step equations. This review is followed by an introduction to ratios, proportions, percent, measurement, and basic geometry in a problem-solving context, with the review skills integrated throughout. Some applications for technical careers will be incorporated for students in professional technical programs.
Prerequisite: MTH 010 with a grade of C- or better within the past two years, or placement test.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Apply reasoning and problem solving skills to basic mathematics problems.
- Use estimation in basic math problems.
- Check the reasonableness of answers.
- Perform fraction computations and applications with accuracy.
- Perform decimal computations and applications with accuracy.
- Write and simplify ratios and rates.
- Recognize when and where ratios or proportions apply.
- Set up and solve proportions.
- Convert between fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Solve the three basic types of percent problems.
- Set up and solve percent application problems.
- Solve applications using area and perimeter of simple geometric shapes.
- Solve basic equations of the type a + x = b and ax = b, involving whole numbers, fractions and decimals.
- Use a scientific calculator to explore and solve basic math problems.
- Apply study skills for learning mathematics and for coping with math anxiety.
- Use the symbols and vocabulary of basic mathematics correctly.
- Use American and metric measurement
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)