DA 280 - Co-op Ed: Dental Assisting
Must be enrolled in the Dental Assisting Program. Course provides dental assisting work experience in community businesses. Includes opportunity to integrate theory and practice. Students can develop skills & explore career options.
Corequisite: Course must be co-enrolled with DA 206 .
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Integrate academic theory with workplace practice.
2. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the responsibilities and procedures performed by each member of the dental health team.
3. Compose in writing a useful resume, cover letter and thank you letter.
4. Participate in a "mock interview" process to gain interviewing skills.
5. Demonstrate the ability to analyze new situations and respond according to professionally accepted guidelines – criterion included in the co-op packet evals.
6. Actively and constructively participate in classroom discussions.
7. Demonstrate ability to work successfully in the dental office with the patient and the dental team. A criterion is defined in the co-op packet evals.
8. Demonstrate the chairside and laboratory skills necessary to function as a member of the dental health team in two different dental offices.
9. Demonstrate ability to manipulate new dental materials while maintaining efficiency.
10. Demonstrate an understanding of workplace culture including required dress, conversations, and attitudes.
11. Develop a professional network.
12. Perform at a level of "marginal" or better on all evaluations, showing improvement in at least three areas in your second session evaluations– criterion included in Co-op packet evals.
13. Demonstrate and strengthen the interpersonal skills necessary to blend into two different dental office assignments, and the clinic at LCC.
14. Identify factors which control and contribute to success in the workplace of the dental assistant.
15. Show personal, professional and academic integrity while working as a Cooperative Education student.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)