NRS 110A - Foundations of Nursing-Health Promotion
This course introduces the learner to framework of the OCNE curriculum. The emphasis is on health promotion across the life span includes learning about self-health as well as client health practices. To support self and client health practices, students learn to access research evidence about healthy lifestyle patterns and risk factors for disease/illness, apply growth and development theory, interview clients in a culturally-sensitive manner, work as members of a multidisciplinary team giving and receiving feedback about performance, and use reflective thinking about their practice as nursing students. The family experiencing a normal pregnancy is a major exemplar.
Prerequisite: BI 233 and BI 234 and FN 225 and PSY 215 and (WR 121 or WR 121_H ) and (WR 122 or WR 122_H ) and MTH 095 or higher with a grade of C or better.
Corequisite: NRS 110B .
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Conduct a culturally and age appropriate health assessment, and interpret health data, such as screening for biological and psychosocial health risks, evidence of safe and healthy habits, developmental tasks and vulnerabilities, and patterns of family functioning.
2. Develop a plan of care that is family-centered, and developmentally and culturally appropriate using evidence such as clinical practice guidelines and integrative literature reviews, to help facilitate a client's health behavior change.
3. Use effective communication to establish a therapeutic client-centered relationship and advocate for a health behavior change based on assessment of health risks.
4. Design and evaluate a health behavior change for self and for a selected client using relevant evidence and family/cultural data.
5. Demonstrate beginning use of selected nursing frameworks, including the legal ethical base for practice, and their application to the practice of nursing.
6. Recognize the importance and relevance of reflection on clinical experiences and on competencies and its influence on personal and professional behavior.
7. Demonstrate use of the importance of fulfilling commitments to the team in timely completion of assignments.
8. Demonstrate use of effective learning strategies in a performance-based curriculum.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)