Jan 27, 2022
MTH 098 - Math Literacy5 Credit(s)
This course provides algebra, quantitative reasoning, and problem solving skills needed in Math 105, 106, 107, and in other college courses in programs not requiring calculus. For students who do not need calculus, Math 098 is an alternative to Math 060/065/095 as a pathway to MTH 105 , MTH 106 , and MTH 107 .
Prerequisite: MTH 020 completed with a grade of "C-" or better within the past two years or placement by the College's Math Placement Process.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will:
- Engage effectively with contextual and open-ended mathematical problems
- Interpret quantitative information presented numerically, verbally, or graphically
- Create and use mathematical models
- Demonstrate critical thinking in quantitative settings
- Express mathematical ideas vocally and in writing
- Apply mathematical skills with civic and ethical awareness
- Make appropriate use of calculators and spreadsheet software
- Demonstrate mathematical skills for college readiness
- Numeracy: Perform operations with rational numbers; use unit analysis
- Algebra: Simplify expressions; solve linear equations and proportions
- Geometry: Apply perimeter, area, similarity, and the Pythagorean theorem
- Analytic Geometry: Graph linear equations and use slope-intercept form
- Statistics: Interpret frequency graphs and measures of center
- Selected Topics: Apply elementary concepts from areas such as set theory, number theory, logic, etc.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)