ECE 160 - Exploring Early Childhood Curriculum
Students will gain understanding in planning daily and weekly program activities for young children. There is an emphasis on planning developmentally appropriate, play-based experiences based on observation of children and knowledge of early childhood learning strategies. Students will study types and benefits of play as the basis of curriculum planning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Examine developmental learning theories and reflect upon their implementation in guiding children's development.
2. Explore basic principles within a play-based, emergent approach to curriculum planning.
3. To explain the philosophy and practice of a constructivist, Reggio inspired approach to curriculum planning.
4. Identify stages of play and summarize their specific characteristics.
5. Develop appropriate goals and developmental objectives for preschool children and programs based on observation.
6. Plan a curriculum including specific kinds of learning opportunities based on a developmental model of early education.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)