DH 132 - Dental Materials for the Dental Hygienist
Composition, properties and manipulation of dental materials. Laboratory and clinical experience with dental materials.
Prerequisite: Admission to Dental Hygiene program
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Describe the steps involved and materials used in the construction of a denture.
2. Summarize the procedures and materials used for temporary relining of a denture.
3. Describe and demonstrate removable prosthetic dental appliance cleaning and maintenance procedures.
4. Describe the uses, chemical compositions, properties and procedures for cements, bases and liners.
5. Demonstrate cementation of a temporary crown.
6. Demonstrate placement of a temporary restoration
7. Demonstrate the mixing and placement of calcium hydroxide liner.
8. Demonstrate the mixing of Zinc Phosphate Cement to luting and to base consistency.
9. Demonstrate mixing of a temporary Glass Ionomer cement.
10. Describe functions, properties, placement and client care instructions for periodontal dressings.
11. Demonstrate basic ability to place and remove a periodontal dressing.
12. Describe the rationale for periodontal surgical procedures.
13. Discuss how surgical suturing materials and needles are classified.
14. Demonstrate basic ability to place and remove sutures.
15. Describe the uses, composition, mixing and handling and characteristics of impression materials, including irreversible and reversible hydrocolloids, elastomers, compounds and zinc-oxide-eugenol (ZOE) pastes.
16. Demonstrate basic ability to mix alginate impression material and take impressions using this material. 17. Describe the uses, composition, handling and mixing, properties and types of gypsum materials.
18. Demonstrate basic ability to mix, pour and trim a gypsum cast.
19. Describe the procedures and materials used for fabrication of fixed indirect restorations and prostheses.
20. Demonstrate knowledge of professional whitening methods, both in-office and at-home.
21. Demonstrate basic ability to fabricate dental whitening trays.
22. Demonstrate basic ability to remove orthodontic resins from extracted teeth.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)