CA 292 - Advanced Cooking Theories 1
Prerequisite: CA 163, CA175, HRTM 105, HRTM 106, MTH 025 or higher. Contemporary and advanced food preparation emphasizing the cold kitchen, garde manger. Students practice and serve dishes to the public in the student-run dining room, rotating through restaurant and kitchen positions, developing, planning and serving a garde manger-themed dinner menu.
Prerequisite: CA 163 , CA 175 , HRTM 105 , HRTM 106 . MTH 025 or higher
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Identify tools and equipment used in garde manger, emphasizing safety and sanitation procedures.
2. Prepare basic garnitures.
3. Identify and discuss ingredients used in the cold kitchen.
4. Develop fundamental skills in the preparation of cold items to include soups, salads, sauces, dressings, marinades, relishes, sandwiches, canapés, and hors d'oeuvres.
5. Identify and discuss cheese and dairy products.
6. Develop fundamental skills in the preparation of forcemeats, such as pates, galantines, terrines, and sausages.
7. Prepare savory mousses and gelatins.
8. Develop fundamental skills in the preparation of aspics for glazing.
9. Demonstrate buffet presentation techniques to include platters, trays, bowls, and other containers.
10. Demonstrate decorative pieces to include fruit and vegetable carvings, salt dough, tallow and ice carvings.
11. Describe the various cuisines and contributions of leading culinarians.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)