Lane Community College Board of Education
Seven elected, non-paid citizens comprise the Board of Education. Elections are held in May of odd-numbered years and openings are staggered. Vacancies due to unexpired terms are filled by board appointment. Board members are elected to four-year terms. Learn more at www.lanecc.edu/board
The Board of Education has primary authority for establishing policies governing the operation of the college and for adopting the college's annual budget. The board's charge is to oversee the development of programs and services that board members believe will best serve the needs of the people of the Lane Community College district.
The board holds public meetings typically the second Thursday evening of each month, normally in the Boardroom, Building 3, main campus. Additional meetings are held as needed.
Zone 1 - Western part of college district
Melanie Muenzer, associate vice president, Eugene, appointed April 2017 elected May 2017, term expires June 30, 2021
Zone 2 - Northern part of college district
Angela VanKrause, healthcare/financial analyst, Eugene, elected May 2019, term expires June 30, 2023
Zone 3 - Marcola and Springfield part of college district
Mike Eyster, retired higher education administrator, elected May 2017, term expires June 30, 2021
Zone 4 - Eastern part of college district
Matt Keating, creative Marketing Consultant, Eugene, elected May 2013, re-elected May 2017 term expires June 30, 2021
Zone 5 - Eastern part of college district
Chelsea Jennings, field director, Eugene, appointed July 2019, term expires June 30, 2021
Position 6 - At Large
Rosie Pryor, retired marketing and strategy officer, elected May 2011, re-elected May 2015, term expires June 30, 2019
Position 7 - At Large
Lisa Fragala, teacher, Eugene, appointed October 2018, elected May 2019, term expires June 30, 2023
The college is administered by the president, under authority delegated by the Lane Community College Board of Education, with assistance from vice presidents, associate vice presidents, division deans, and directors.
- Margaret Hamilton, President; Ph.D. Widener Univ.; M.S. Univ. of Delaware; B.S. State Univ. of New York
- Paul Jarrell, Vice President Academic and Student Affairs, Ph.D. Univ. of Oregon, B.S. Ohio Univ.
- Brian Kelly, Vice President of College Services. M.B.A. Marylhurst Univ.; B.A. Southern Illinois Univ.
- Jennifer Frei, Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs; Ph.D. Univ. of California Davis; M.A. California State Univ. Sacramento; B.A. Univ. of California Davis
- Jennifer Steele, Associate Vice President, Planning and Institutional Effectiveness, MBA Univ. of Oregon, B.S. California Polytechnic State Univ.
- Mindie Dieu, Associate Vice President, Student Affairs, Ph.D. Univ. of Oklahoma, M.Ed. University of Oklahoma; B.A. Oklahoma State University, A.A. Tulsa Community College
- Dennis Carr, Chief Human Resource Officer and Labor Relations; M.S.I.R. Univ. of Oregon; B.S. Hiram College
- Bill Schuetz, Chief Information Officer; Ph.D. Claremont Graduate Univ.; M.S. Claremont Graduate School; B.S. Univ. of Washington
Dr. Mary Spilde was named president emerita by the Board of Education in 2017. Dr. Spilde was Lane's sixth president and served from 2001-2017.
The late Dr. Eldon G. Schafer was named president emeritus by the Board of Education in 1985. Dr. Schafer served as Lane president from 1970-85.
The late Dr. Dale Parnell was named president emeritus by the Board of Education in 2004. Dr. Parnell was Lane's founding president and served from 1965-68.
Oregon State Board of Education
As one of Oregon's 17 publicly supported community college districts, Lane operates under the general direction of the Oregon State Board of Education:
- Jerome Colonna, Bend
- Kimberly Howard, Portland
- Charles Martinez Jr, Eugene
- George Russell, Eugene
- Modesta Minthorn, Pendelton
- Anthony Veliz, Woodburn
State Department of Education administration includes:
- Patrick Crane, Director, Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development, Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission
- Colt Gill, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Lane Community College Budget Committee
The Budget Committee analyzes the administration's annual budget proposal. The 2019-2020 Budget Committee includes the Board of Education and the following members:
- Amber White, term expires 2020, chief financial officer, Eugene
- Hillary Kittleson, term expires 2019, retired finance director, Eugene
- Kevin Matthews, term expires 2021, editor, Dexter
- Timothy Morris, term expires 2021, receptionist, Eugene
- Clarissa Parker, term expires 2021, education program specialist, Eugene
- Alayne Clark, term expires 2020, senior financial analyst, Eugene
- Celine Swenson Harris, term expires 2020, legislative chief of staff, Eugene
Please contact Lane Community College Human Resources Department for a list of instructional staff. Main Campus, Building 3, 1st Floor, 541.463.5586, TDD 541.463.3999, https://www.lanecc.edu/hr
Volunteers from regional and local businesses and industries are appointed by the Lane Community College Board of Education to advisory committees. These committees offer advice and assistance to instructional programs, enabling the college to tie its programs closely to current work practices and employment opportunities. All of the college's career technical programs, as well as many noncredit programs, have advisory committees. The Career Technical Education Coordinating Committee (CTECC) provides oversight for all advisory committees.