Nov 26, 2022  
2019-2020 Lane Community College Catalog 
2019-2020 Lane Community College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Fees, Financial Aid

Noncredit Community Education Classes

For information about costs associated with Continuing Education and Small Business Development Center classes, please contact the respective departments.

Credit Classes

Credit students pay the following charges:

Tuition see below
Class fees listed next to each class in the online class schedule
Technology fee $9 per credit
Online Course fee $25 per credit
Other fees see below


Residents of Oregon $118.00 per credit hour
Non-residents of Oregon $274.50 per credit hour
International students:  
Summer, fall, winter and spring terms 1-5 credits: $295 per credit hour
  6-8 credits: $1,900/term
  9-11 credits:  $2800/term
  12-18 credits: $3200/term

*Subject to change pending Board approval

Other Credit Student Fees

ASLCC Student Activity Fee*

Credit students taking main campus classes $56.05

Student Life (clubs) $1.74; ASLCC $9.14; BSU $.50; OSPIRG $3; Longhouse $3; International Study programs $2; SPA $.55; Childcare Subsidy $8.62; Athletics and Recreational Sports $11; TORCH $2.90; Gender Equity Center $2; Learning Garden $1.50; Maxwell Student Veteran's Center $1; NASA $.65; MeCHA $.65; GSA $.65; APISU $.50; OSA $2.65; Student Legal Services $4

*This fee is subject to change pending ASLCC election results.

Credit by Examination and Credit by Assessment

Examination/assessment fee $50 per review
First Time Credit Enrollment Fee $30
Student Health Fee $45 per term
Transportation Fee (nonrefundable)  
Credit students on main campus $27 per term
All noncredit classes (included in the Registration fee) and credit classes not held on the main campus $5 per term

Fees are subject to annual increases.

International credit students also pay  
International student fee $125 per term
Photo ID $5

A LCC photo ID is not required to attend Lane. It is available to all currently registered students as an alternate form of photo identification. A card may be purchased from the Titan Store, Center Building.

Transcript Fee  
Transcript $5
Transcript Rush Fee** $5

Transcripts are available directly through the National Student Clearinghouse. Fees for transcripts ordered through the NSC will need to be paid with VISA or MasterCard.

** Transcripts that are purchased from Enrollment Services or for transcript requests that indicate that they need rush service will be charged the Transcript Rush Fee.

Average Total Costs

Typical average yearly expenses excluding room and board, transportation, tools, and personal expenses:

Tuition $4,956
Books* $1,389
Special and Miscellaneous Fees (varies by program) $567
Student Activity Fees $168

A mandatory ASLCC student activity fee is required of all students taking credit classes on Lane's main campus.

Tuition rates, fees and refunds are subject to change without prior notice.

* Open Educational Resources (OER) Some classes at Lane use Open Educational Resources (OER). OER takes the place of more expensive textbooks, reducing the overall cost of taking the class. For more information on classes using free and low-cost materials, visit or email

Differential Pricing Program

Beginning with the 2003-04 academic year, Lane's Board of Education approved a differential pricing program to preserve some higher cost career technical programs. Some courses in the following programs currently have differential fees: Automotive Technology, Culinary Arts, Diesel Technology, Manufacturing Technology, Dental Hygiene, Dental Assistant, EMT/Paramedicine, Medical Assistant, Health Information Management, Nursing, Practical Nursing, and Physical Therapist Assistant.

Determination of Residency

Residents of Oregon

In-District* A student at least 18 years of age or a high school graduate who has maintained a permanent residency within the college district for no less than 90 continuous days prior to the first day of the term is classified as In-District. Residency requirements must be met prior to the date that a term begins.

To change residency to In-District or In-State, the student must initiate the change by printing out a residency form available in the forms section at Students must hand the form directly to an Enrollment Services advisor at the main campus. Residency requirements must be met prior to the date that a term begins, and residency changes must be made prior to the start of the term.

* In-District includes Lane County, Monroe Elementary District, and Harrisburg Union High School District.

In-State (Out-of-District) A student who has maintained a permanent residency within the state for no less than 90 continuous days prior to the first day of the term is classified as In-State and pays Oregon tuition. Residency requirements must be met prior to the date that a term begins, and residency changes must be made prior to the start of the term.

Students who have maintained permanent residency within the states of Washington, Idaho, Nevada, or California for at least 90 days prior to the first day of the term also pay In-State tuition at Lane.

This exception in tuition does not allow for an exception in residency requirements for special or limited enrollment programs.

Please note that residency requirements are different at Oregon's public universities. Students intending to transfer should research specific residency requirements at public or private schools to which they will transfer. For more information, visit the website of the institution you are interested in attending.

Out-of-State and International

There are two residency categories in addition to In-District and In-State:

  • Out-of-state but a citizen of the United States or registered resident alien.
  • International (not a U.S. citizen or registered alien). International students do not become residents regardless of the length of residency within the district.

Special Circumstances A student may be classified as In-District or In-State if special circumstances can be documented. The following criteria are used to define special circumstances:

  • A veteran and or veteran's dependents who are entitled to in-district tuition in accordance with the Basic Choice Act (see Veteran's Benefits and Certification).
  • A released Oregon State prisoner is considered In-District regardless of residency prior to sentencing if a state agency is the sponsor.
  • A legal dependent or spouse of a person who has moved into the college district and established a residence is considered In-District.

Residency Student residency is determined from information provided by each applicant to the college. Residency does not change without some kind of student interaction. If a student wants to change residency, the student must initiate the change by visiting Enrollment Services, Building 1. The college may require additional documentation to clarify residency status. Only applicants who can provide sufficient documentation that the 90-day residence requirement clearly has been met will be classified In-district or In-State. Once residency has been changed to In-district or In-State, it cannot be reversed. Residency changes will not take affect until the subsequent term following the change.

Please be aware that being designated as an Oregon resident at Lane Community College does not guarantee the same status with other two-year or four-year institutions, both within and outside the state of Oregon. It is vital that you review the residency requirements at all institutions to understand their in-state residency requirements.

Noncredit Continuing Education Classes have no residency requirement.

Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year – summer through spring. The FAFSA is available at The FAFSA is available now for students applying for aid during the 2018-2019 academic year. The Financial Aid process takes approximately 6-8 weeks. Students should apply as early as possible after October 1, 2018 for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Lane offers three basic types of financial aid to eligible students: grants, work-study and loans. Typically, students are offered a combination of these financial aid awards. Loans must be repaid. Grants and work-study do not have to repaid as long as the student remains enrolled in the term they received funding.

Scholarships are a separate source of free aid. For more information, see

To view further information regarding the financial aid process at Lane, see

Paying for Classes

When you register for a class, you are agreeing to pay for the class. If you cannot attend the class, you must drop the class within the timelines listed in the class schedule or the college will charge you for it. See Refunds and Financial Aid for more information.

You may pay your college bill in the following ways:

By Web

Payments can be made on the web by check or savings account, VISA or MasterCard. Log on to and access myLane. Once in myLane, click on "myFinances" tab, then click on "Make an Online Payment." Contact Student Accounts at 541.463.3011 if you have questions about payments on the web.

By Mail

Send your payment to Lane Community College, P.O. Box 50850, Eugene, OR 97405-0999. You can pay by check or money order payable to Lane Community College. Include your student ID number ('L' student ID number).

With a Sponsoring Agent

If a sponsoring agency is paying some or all of your educational expenses, it is your responsibility to see that the agency has provided written authorization to Enrollment Services before you register. If the college doesn't receive your authorization in a timely manner, late fees will be added to your account balance. If you have questions, visit or email

Payment Plans

Lane offers interest-free payment plans that allow you to spread the cost of your education into affordable monthly or bi-weekly payments. More information on how to set up a payment plan can be found:

Deferred Billing Terms Agreement

When you register for the first time, the college sets up a college charge account to process your tuition and fees, other charges, credits, refunds, financial aid disbursements, and payments. You are responsible for paying your account in full, even if you are sponsored, expect to receive Financial Aid, think that a family member will pay, and/or never attend the class.

*By registering, you have automatically accepted the terms of Lane's Deferred Billing Agreement. See to access the Deferred Billing agreement. Futhermore, by registering for any class at Lane, you are agreeing to retrieve your 1098T form by accessing the electronic version in myLane. The college does not mail 1098T's.

Payments On Account Using myLane at Students will be able to make payments on outstanding balances using myLane. Students taking credit classes will not be mailed a billing notice until the final pink notice is mailed the month before an unpaid account goes into collection status. Credit level students may use the Billing Statement link under Student Records in myLane to arrange to have a paper bill mailed. Non-credit level students will be mailed paper statements unless they opt not to receive them. myLane will accept partial or full payments using credit cards, checks, or savings accounts. Refunds will be credited to the student's Lane account, and any credits/balance due will be mailed to the student. If a student is eligible to receive a refund but has a balance owed to Lane, which could be for the past, present or next term, the refund will be applied to the outstanding debt. Lane uses a third party pay system called Third Party Payment Authorization to allow you to assign access to a third party to make payments on your account. You may review the information and instructions on setting this up at All transactions are handled through a secure payment system.

General Account Information

To find out how much you owe, access myLane at, click on "myFinances" tab.

Once Open Registration begins for the next term, you must pay all money you owe the college for the previous term before you can register each subsequent term.

Late Fees

  • The college will assess a late fee of 2 percent on your unpaid balance from a prior billing period.
  • A billing period is the time between statements.

Notify the college if your address changes by using myLane. It is your responsibility to maintain a current address, phone number and email in myLane at all times. The college will block you from registering or making any schedule changes if we receive returned mail. At the end of each term, any account with an invalid address and a balance will be moved to a collection agency.

The college will charge you a returned item fee for insufficient funds checks or rejected VISA or MasterCard charges.

The college has the right, without prior notice, to stop or suspend the extension of financial credit, withhold services, apply some non-payroll monies due you as a payment on your account, and/or turn your account over to a collection agency, under the following circumstances:

  • The post office returns a bill the college sends you.
  • The bank refuses payment on checks you write.
  • Your VISA or MasterCard payment is declined.
  • Failure to pay.

Withholding services means that the college may withdraw you from your current classes, block your registration for future classes and workshops, and withhold transcripts.

Consequences of Not Paying

If you fail to pay your account, the college may take any or all of the following actions:

  • Require immediate payment in full
  • Purge advance registration for future term
  • Block enrollment for any future terms
  • Decline to provide official transcripts
  • Turn accounts over to a collection agency for non-payment after four months*
  • Oregon State Tax Return offset

* Students will be mailed a final notice for accounts that are overdue before the college assigns them to a collection agency which reports them to a credit bureau. The collection agency will add additional collection fees, court and attorney costs to account.

Past Due Accounts Assigned to a Collection Agency After Four Months (120 days) Accounts will be turned over to a collection agency for non-payment after four months (120 days). Students will be mailed a final demand "pink" billing statement for past due accounts before the college assigns them to a collection agency. The collection agency will add their own fees and has the right to report past due accounts to a credit bureau. Failure to maintain a correct address in myLane will result in your account going to a collection agency if unpaid.

Past Due Accounts Must be Paid to the Assigned Collection Agency Students are not able to make payments to Lane for past due accounts that have been assigned to a collection agency. Students wanting to pay off outstanding debts owed to Lane cannot pay at Lane or in myLane and must contact the collection agency listed with the hold message in myLane to make payment arrangements.

Students who have paid their accounts in full with the collection agency will not be able to register or have a transcript released until Lane receives the funds from the collection agency and the Lane account balance has been completely cleared. Payments from collection agencies can take eight weeks to reach Lane. No exceptions will be made to allow a student to register or receive an unofficial or official transcript until the account shows paid in full in myLane at



When you register for a class, you agree to pay for it. If you officially drop the class by the refund deadline, the college will refund your tuition. If the college cancels a class, we will refund your tuition in full. It is your responsibility to drop any class that you do not plan to attend. Students must use myLane to officially drop a class. Refer to class schedule for deadlines.

Lane has an all or no refund policy. Whether or not a student receives a refund or not is based on the length of the class and the date that the student drops the class. Students who drop after the refund deadline will not receive a refund or credit for dropping the class. (Tuition is not prorated.) If a refund is applicable, the amount is automatically posted as a credit to the student's Deferred Billing Terms Agreement account.

Interpreting the table below, the class duration is the number of weeks the class is scheduled to meet. "Refund Deadline" means by midnight (11:59 p.m.) on Sunday of the first week. For workshop refunds, students need to contact the sponsoring department.

Credit and Noncredit Classes Tuition Refund Table
Class duration Prior to start of classes Drop Sunday week 1 by midnight
Classes 4 weeks or longer ALL of the tuition will be refunded ALL of the tuition will be refunded
Classes 2 to 3 weeks ALL of the tuition will be refunded NO tuition will be refunded
Workshops & classes, 1 week or less ALL of the tuition will be refunded if dropped three working days or more before the workshop begins. NO tuition will be refunded

It is the student's responsibility to drop/withdraw from any class/ classes he or she does not plan to attend. No refunds or adjustments of tuition and fees will be granted after stated refund deadlines.

ASLCC Student Activity and Registration Fees

If the college cancels your only credit class, or you withdraw from all your classes during the refund period, the college automatically refunds these fees.

How Refunds Are Processed

  • Refunds are first applied to any outstanding balance owed.
  • If financial aid or a sponsoring agency paid your account, refunds are credited either to you or to the funding source, as appropriate.
  • If you have paid your account with VISA/ MasterCard, a refund will be issued to the student by check or onto the laneccdebit card.
  • The college applies all other refunds as a credit to your account. Refund checks are mailed or loaded onto the laneccdebit card, weekly.
  • The Transportation Fee is nonrefundable after the full-term refund deadline. No exceptions will be made.

If medical/emergency circumstances beyond your control prevent you from dropping your classes by the refund deadline, you may request an exception to the refund policy. You must complete the Refund Request online form available at emergency documentation of the circumstances. Petitions received after the eighth week of the term and/or without documentation will be denied.

If you have a documented medical or emergency reason why you dropped your class after the refund deadline, you can fill out the Refund Request online form and submit it to Student Accounts. A committee will review your request and respond.

Contact Student Accounts, 541.463.3011, 4000 E. 30th Avenue, Eugene OR 97405, for petitions about credit classes.

The deadline for submitting petitions requesting a Refund Request is 30 days from the end of the term. Refund requests submitted after this date will only be considered when a medical emergency prevented you from using myLane to drop classes by the refund deadline. Even if your petition is approved, you may still owe fees and finance charges.

For information about exceptions to the refund policy, call Student Accounts at 541.463.3011.

Contact the following departments for refund petitions about Community Education classes.

  • Continuing Education, 101 W. 10th Avenue, Eugene OR 97401
  • Cottage Grove Center, 1275 South River Road, Cottage Grove, OR 97424
  • Florence Center, 3149 Oak Street, Florence, OR 97439
  • Small Business Development Center, 101 W. 10th Avenue, Suite 304, Eugene OR 97401
  • Workforce Development, 4000 East 30th Ave., Eugene OR 97405-0640

If a student does not plan to attend a class, official withdrawal from that class is the student's responsibility.